INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4):
• One 1½ to 2-pound whole fish, such as rockfish or snapper, cleaned
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
• 2 eggs
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• Cooking oil for deep-frying
• 1½ cups Sweet-and-Sour Sauce or a storebought version
• ½ cup chopped pineapple
• ½ teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 teaspoon of water
• 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
• 1 tablespoon chopped red bell pepper
• 1 tablespoon chopped yellow bell pepper
SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
( Makes about 1½ cups )
• 1 cup ketchup
• ½ cup sugar
• ⅓ cup rice vinegar
• 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1½ tablespoon soy sauce
• 1½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. The sauce will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. Bring the sauce to room temperature or warm it lightly in a microwave oven before serving.
• Cut 4 diagonal slashes, about 3/4 inch deep, on both sides of the fish. Rub salt and white pepper into the slashes. Beat eggs in a wide bowl, and place flour in a separate wide bowl. Dip fish into the egg, drain briefly, then dredge in the flour, gently shaking off excess.
• In a wok, stir-fry pan, or large deep skillet, pour oil to a depth of 3 inches and heat to 170 degrees C on a deep-fry thermometer. Carefully lower fish into the hot oil. Use a ladle to carefully and continuously pour hot oil over top of the fish. Deep-fry until fish is cooked through for about 12 to 15 minutes. Using 2 wire strainers, carefully lift fish from hot oil and drain on paper towels.
• Transfer fish to a serving plate. Pour sauce over the fish, garnish with cilantro and red and yellow bell peppers and serve.
• Bring sweet-and-sour sauce to a boil in a saucepan. Add pineapple and cook until fruit is just heated through (about 1 minute). Add cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens ( about 30seconds). Transfer fish to a serving plate. Pour sauce over the fish, garnish with cilantro and red and yellow bell peppers and serve.
Source: Prime Magazine Feb Issue 2016. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.